Sunday 24 May 2009

Politicians are the same the world over

Reading the paper on the underground after work a few days ago, this story caught my eye.

Conservative MP Anthony Steen had claims for expenses of up to £87,000, and part of the expenses included inspections of more than 500 trees, and guarding against shrubs.

To add insult to injury he says ati his critics are jealous because he lives in a big house. I wonder whether he has any chance of getting selected at the next election with this attitude. Some people just don't get it.

This is all tax payers money that pays for this. I was so not amused. I had a look round the train, and was watching faces as they read the story, not good.


I think about how much I am taxed each month, and this is where some of my money goes,WTF!

If I decide not to pay my taxes I know that I will be spending time at her majesty's pleasure. No ifs, buts or maybe's.

The MP's expenses scandals here are outrageous. Some MP's have resigned, others have decided to pay back what they claimed for. Okay they shouldn't have put in such outrageous claims in the first place, but I think it is a good thing, that some are paying it all back.

I wondered whether any politician in Kenya would ever consider paying back the money they had stolen in the various scandals, I don't see it happening.

M makes some strong points about how the UNDP need to get serious.

Related article: Leadership incompetence the cause of Africa's woes

Then we have Somali pirates who take early retirement , and launder their money easily by investing in property, hotels, shopping arcades, and trucking companies in Kenya.

Update Related article: Chasing the Somali piracy money trail

Life goes on as always.

No comments: